Monday, October 02, 2006

Sundar and a tour

I have struck up quite a friendship with the waiters at our hotel. They are teaching me Tamil and I am making them laugh. Yesterday I asked them what the head wobble means, as it is confusing to me, it is neither yes or no, it is somewhere in between and I am never sure if I am being understood or ignored. This question caused quite a bit of laughter, and now they mock me by shaking their heads yes and no. Sundar has the best English, and he is my best Indian tutor. He was sharing local facts with me when I asked where there might be a temple. He offered to take me there. We met this morning at 7 a.m. and walked through the sleepy town. He talked the whole way, giving me a fascinating cultural class about arranged marriages, family responsibility, work ethic, religious unity, festivals, Gandhi day, the poor in India and the family of 6 that he supports.

We walked to a nearby Hindu Snake Temple, which, according to Sundar, is very famous. He explained how to enter, how to pray, what to pray for, and how people with the strongest of faiths undeniably get anything they wholeheartedly pray for. Men must remove their shirts before entering, to represent that all men are equal before god. Offering of food and milk are given at each statue. Blessings are bestowed by the Bramen who run the temple. I witnessed a ceremony where young children begin their learning of Hindu. I saw the area for sacred bathing, and gods water, and the tree with the prayers from women who specifically want children. Sundar is clearly a regular here, all the Bramen knew him, and there was much inside conversation and laughter between them all. He is clearly well known and loved by many. I am touched by his genuine love of god, faith, joyous nature and deep compassion.

I have three words I now overuse:

Nundree, “thank you”

Baboom, “so long”

Wannacome, “hello” or “welcome”

Two more interesting billboards:

Eat healthy, think better (an ad for crackers)

You can’t hold on to both, don’t drink and drive

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! I'm totally loving your posts. You're an inspiriation to this day... Love you! Mandie

Monday, October 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Kim -
Thanks so much for continuing to share your trip and personal experiences with us. We are sending you lots of love!
Miss you (big-time) :o)
Marianne

Monday, October 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the learning, love and hapiness you're experiencing in your travels, I'm beginning to worry that you won't come home...

Wednesday, October 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home