Friday, October 20, 2006

Back to civilization

Oct. 18, 2006

My trains, planes and automobiles moved along without any problem, and soon I found myself back in the Singapore airport. Walking off the plane into extreme civilization was a very peculiar feeling. Singapore if very developed, and this is said to be the best airport in the world. It has a gym, a pool, massage places, outrageous amounts of food and high end shopping to rival any Southern California mall. It is a model for consumerism and our huge level of consumption. Suddenly, the women in sarees looked out of place, and I knew I looked more than a little road-grubby. I could smell India on my clothing and in my skin between the scents of Chanel, coffee and Swiss Chocolate. It was a very peculiar transitional feeling, and already India seemed like a distant memory (and a partly contrived memory at that). How can both of these worlds exist so closely to one another?

I spent much of the flight home pacing along the back of the plane, and trying to put together the keynote I am returning home to give to a group of women in Big Bear on Friday. How am I going to be able to sum all this up in one hour, and what is the primary message I want to give? Is it about manifesting your dreams? Is it about compassion for others? Is it about humanitarian or peace efforts? Do I want to drive home the point that we in America have more than we ever could imagine in terms of not only material possessions, but opportunity and abundance, and it is our obligation to use it wisely? Do I talk about those who do not have these same opportunities? Do I want to compare and contrast, explain and describe or show and tell? Can I put together a slide show? Would people be interested in that? What the heck am I going to say?????

My flight from Singapore ended up coming into the States directly over the Golden Gate Bridge. I watched the California Coast out the window for the rest of the flight. I was able to spot all of the different areas I know so well…..Carmel, the Red Woods, central California agriculture, Santa Barbara, Malibu. I could see them all, and I knew I was home. I’m ready to be all the way home in Ashland, but this is my State and I am ready to be back. Already, I’m wondering if I’ll ever have the opportunity to visit India again. Already, I am wondering how India has changed me. Already, I am thinking about what is next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home