Monday, October 16, 2006

A Trying 24 Hours

Oct. 15, 2006

Well, it happened. Damn it.

I have secretly prided myself on the fact that I have not gotten sick during my time here. I have eaten cautiously, taken my anti-bacterials and anti-parasite supplements daily, and stayed away from meat, fruit, raw vegetables and local water of any sort. I’m not sure what thing finally pushed me over the edge……the LONG walk through the rice paddies in the blistering Indian sun-no hat, no water? The market bananas I allowed myself because I was so very hungry? Sheer exhaustion? Overwhelming emotions? I’m not sure, but the last 24 hours have been spent in close proximity to the bathroom (thank god we have a western style toilet here!!!). I’ll save the grizzly details, but suffice to say it wasn’t pretty. (No pictures for this entry) I slept most of yesterday, and this morning I am feeing much, much better. This is really good news, as I START my travels back to the states today. I am, however, disappointed that I missed a day of Bodhgaya, the travels with the Doctor, and time with the boys.

My car and driver will arrive at noon – Anup and Rajesh are joining me for the 4 hour ride to Patna. I am glad they are coming along, Patna is intense and it will be good to have them help me find a hotel and such (and, of course, I enjoy their company). I fly out of Patna Monday morning – so I’ll be there on my own for a night. Cedric will stay here in Bodhgaya for the next few days, finalizing the details on the boys tutoring and schooling that we are coordinating. He is contemplating spending the next month here working with the school and students. He has a tremendous amount to offer them in terms of computer education, budgetary planning, program development, awareness and over all scheduling.

Trying to coordinate the education for these boys has been very frustrating. We met with the tutor last night to set up the schedule for the boys studies. We have learned some interesting things about education in India.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear you survived your 'bout' and are feeling better and back to your important work already. I had my own experience as a traveler in the 70s in Cozumel (pre-tourism years) which followed me back to the states for the next 6 months - amoebic dysentry...also not pretty:).....take care of your spirit AND your body girl!!! PS. Time to start planning my party, I'll be visiting you Thursday, November 3rd (late that night) and trying to stay over Friday the 4th. Will confirm when you are back. Raven Man

Wednesday, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home