Sunday, October 08, 2006

Feels Like Christmas

Oct. 7, 2006

Yesterday was spent with the men from AWED, Father Nitya and Mister Vincent. We drove across the Southern tip of India (1 ½ hours @ 50 mph at best) to the outlying villages of Michaelnagar (43 families) and Georgenagar (72 families). These are very small, underserved villages of the lowest cast. We were, as usual, greeted first by the children, followed by their parents, all enjoying having us take pictures and laughing. Very few of these villagers knew the traditional sentences of “what is your name?”, “how are you?”. This village was different.

Both groups of villagers were anxious to sit with us and explain (thru Father Nitya) all about their villages, problems, children and needs. They are all in extreme need. The ability to choose which projects and which villages is very difficult. The very idea that choosing for one denies another is hard for me. I was totally overwhelmed by the time we reached the second village on foot across the hot, windy shore. I sat with the villagers for awhile, but soon needed to excuse myself to sit on the shore. I was followed by two little girls, and soon had a flock of children around me. Once I tired of taking picture after picture, and teaching them to hold the camera, I was at a loss as they sat with expectant faces for me to do something……anything would do. So we sang songs. They LOVED “I’m a little teapot”, with all the hand motions and inflections. They could repeat each phrase perfectly, although they sang “I’m a little tea pot short and stout” as if it was one word. And then came the “Tamil/English tutoring”. The naming of all the different body parts in both English and Tamil. My attempts at Tamil continues to be the cause if much laughter!

As we traveled from place to place, Father Nitya would give us the history and facts about the plants, the people, the animals, the homes, the situations. We met with many different groups and Fathers and engineers. They have brought us a list of 19 potential water/sanitation projects from which we can choose. It is a difficult choice. We cannot do them all, but I trust that if we just follow our instincts it will be chosen exactly as it should be.

This morning, we have decided how many projects we can begin with, and we will visit some of the villages where the projects will take place. We have decided to ask Father Nitya to prioritize which villages are served first. Still, I hate saying no to any of them. I started to calculate in my head how long it would take me to save and give them ALL the sanitation services they need…..but then they would need the education to go along with that…..and then they would need…….and then they would need……and then they would need………

Cedric has just left to exchange the projects travelers checks so that we can give the cash to Father Nitya and Father Gino. It feels like Christmas morning to me. I have that same butterfly effect in my tummy, and the lightheaded feeling of joy. This is a beautiful day, and I am blessed.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Just discovered your blog and love reading about your adventures. Sure helps me to count my blessings! and what a blessing you are to the people you are meeting. So glad that you are sharing with us.
Much love and blessings on your journey!

Sunday, October 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A world away watching the sunrise with you. I was up at the cabin and had gone to bed really (really) early to the warm ticking of the wood stove. As a result, I woke up in the middle of the night to a moonscape of the valley, which lingered into watching the light rise with the morning fog on the Cowlitz...lots of people are with you in spirit my friend Kim - Raven Man

Monday, October 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, Sweet Woman.

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us! India is an amazing place in many ways - between cultures and beliefs. it is such a different world in many ways. I really like reading you through your experiences.

Much love,

Datta

Monday, October 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home