Friday, December 18, 2009

A week unlike the others


I have spent the bulk of my time here sort of on my own. I come to meals late and leave early, go into Conoor without telling anyone, hike the hills on my own, and work on the Peace Project by myself. It hasn’t been very “typical” of me, but it was exactly right for my heart, soul and spirit.



This week has been a bit different. A group of women (3), all originally from the UK (and who did NOT know each other before arriving at the retreat), and a gentleman from Belgium, became my support group, play group, shop group, yoga group and stay-up-late-and-chat group. We have had a lovely time (in the words of the Brits) and its been a blessing to have had them all show up in my week of final exams, classes and a bits-o-pressure. On Thursday, once our exams were complete, we all dressed up and made dinner a bit of an event. The girls bought party poppers and bindis for us all, and created a regular air of celebration for me. (see pics)


I’ve had a fabulous (albeit uniquely stressful) week. I didn’t receive my final grade until the next day, but I'm excited to say I received “distinction” (the highest grade possible). I was pleased, but I must say not as pleased as everyone else. I just wanted to pass the class!



Their presence here has also helped my yoga immensely. They were having a hard time with the classes (there is actually very little instruction in the “open classes”) and so they have provided me the opportunity to teach more, work with them individually, give a workshop or two, and really get detailed about the poses. I’m definitely leaving here able to do and teach things I never thought I could! (see pics)



In my own sort of individual celebration, after the final written exam, I took myself into Conoor and returned to the neighborhood of children who had asked me to come play with them the first day I visited the city. I promised them I would return , but hadn’t had the opportunity. As I wandered into their neighborhood they were thrilled to see me. The moment I rounded the corner toward their house the “leader of the pack” came running up to me and said, “lady, we thought you would never come back!”


I stayed and played with them for a couple hours. They taught me how to play cricket, they helped me find a temple to visit, I met their mothers, they chatted on about school, family and the new baby on the block. Our favorite entertainment was the “kids camera” I brought with me. I showed them how to use it and then sent them off in all directions to take pictures. They got some really fun shots that I will have turned into printed photographs and deliver to them sometime tomorrow. (See the pic of me with the cute little girl and boy-another little boy took it.) It was great fun.




Among the UK women is a gal named Izzy (see pic, second blonde from the left around the dinner table). Izzy didn’t really know what she was getting herself into when she signed on for three weeks, in the middle of winter, at an Ayurvedic Hospital for a detoxification program. Although she loves the yoga, she has been cold and uncomfortable since she got here. (We had a lady here who kept reminding us all, “this isn’t a spa, it’s a hospital”.) This isn’t exactly Izzy’s idea of vacation (and she’s right, it isn’t vacation). And so, my wish for a travel companion has come true! She has decided to escape and will leave with me on Monday to go to Amma’s Ashram! (www.amritapuri.org). I left the actual retreat center today (Saturday), but don’t leave Connor until Monday. I am working with the girls at the school on Sunday and staying with a family who will feed and take care of me for the last couple days. I thought it was a nice way to wrap up my time in Tamil Nadu.


On Monday Izzy and I will be driving to a nearby (4 hours) town where we will get on a houseboat and travel down the backwaters of Kerela. It is said to be the most beautiful trip in all of India, and to be substantially warmer than it is here on the edge of the Western Gatz (elevation 5000 feet). We plan to spend Christmas at the Ashram, and then Izzy will fly home to England. At that point I’ll still have a bit of time left in India on my own, and I’ll decide what to do next once the time gets here. We’ll see….



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home